Wow, I feel like I have had a lot of pasta recently…but I was craving this dish!
Many of you know that there was a long period in my life where I did not eat meat. For those of you who did not….surprise!!! During that time, I tried to find ways to make some of the same meat based dishes I was used to eating….but not use meat. This is one of the dishes I used to make and continue to make even though I eat some meat now. I just love the flavor and feel of it. This Tofu Parmesan dish calls for the use of extra firm tofu. For those of you who have not tried tofu…this may be a dish you would like. I freeze my tofu (yes, I said freeze) before I use it. I put the tofu in the freezer for at least a week and thaw before use. Why? Texture, texture, texture. I know, I used extra firm tofu – but I want some real chew to my tofu. Freezing the tofu does this. You don’t have to try freezing your tofu – but if the texture of tofu in the past has been an issue for you, try freezing it! Let me know how the tofu turns out.
I treat the tofu as I would chicken in this dish. I coat the tofu in Panko/Parmesan bread crumbs and fry it in oil. I use vegetable oil to fry the tofu. I have used olive oil in the past the flavor of the olive oil overpowered the tofu. Feel free to use olive oil if you like the taste of it, but I like the almost neutral flavor of the vegetable oil in this dish.
I left the recipe open for you to use whatever spaghetti sauce you prefer. I typically use my favorite Spaghetti Sauce and omit the meatballs to make the Chicken Parmesan vegetarian.
Don’t be afraid to try this tofu dish – who knows you may convert to being a tofu fan!!!
- 16 oz. spaghetti
- 1 block tofu, squeezed dry
- 4 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 c. spaghetti sauce (use any kind you prefer)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs. water
- 2 c. panko or bread crumbs
- 1 Tbs. dried italian seasoning
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese (or use sliced from a block if you prefer) for coating tofu
- 1/2 c. grated or shredded Parmesan cheese for topping on spaghetti sauce
- Cook spaghetti according to directions using 1 Tbs. salt in the water to flavor the pasta.
- Slice tofu sideways into 8 slices.
- Turn on oven to broil (to melt the cheese when the tofu is cooked).
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the 4 Tbs. vegetable oil.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, add the 4 c. spaghetti sauce.
- In a flat bowl with sides, add the egg and 1 Tbs. water and whisk.
- In another flat bowl with sides, add the panko, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Coat the tofu by first dipping in the egg mixture and then coating the tofu in the panko mixture.
- Add the tofu to the frying pan with oil. Cook until brown, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat. Place on cookie sheet.
- Top the tofu with shredded or sliced Parmesan cheese. Broil until melted, approximately 1 minute.
- Drain pasta and add to plate. Top with tofu. Spoon heated sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
I have been known to only get 3 servings out of this - the tofu is that good!