Aahhh fall, aahhh soup! I love thick and rich soups and this Spicy Roasted Carrot and Red Lentil Soup fills the bill. I know the title is long, but I needed you to understand all the flavors that are in this soup.
First, the carrots, onions and garlic are roasted in the oven. Roasting these vegetables in the oven enhances their flavor and brings out more of their sweetness – especially the garlic. If you have never roasted garlic in the oven, you are missing one of life’s greatest treats. That is the reason I can add so much garlic to this dish and it is not overwhelming. If I added that many cloves of raw garlic, the soup would be overwhelmed with garlic.
While the vegetables are roasting in the oven, you can make the lentils and really speed up the cooking time of this dish. Cayenne pepper makes the soup spicy and I suggest adding a little at first and taste as the lentils cook to get the level of spiciness that suits you. I tend to like dishes spicy. For liquid, I used low-sodium chicken broth in this soup. If you are a vegetarian you can use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth and make the soup vegetarian.
To finish off the Spicy Roasted Carrot and Red Lentil Soup, you can toast some cumin seeds and sprinkle on the top. I love the burst of flavor that the whole cumin seeds add to any dish. I find I add them to rice often to give a punch of flavor to a relatively bland side dish.
Spicy Roasted Carrot and Red Lentil Soup makes a hearty meal and I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do!
- 12 oz. carrots, peeled and cut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth to make the dish vegetarian)
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 c. red split lentils
- 1 Tbs. fresh ground ginger
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 Tbs. cumin seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a baking sheet with sides, add the carrots, garlic and onion. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Mix to coat all vegetables with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While vegetables are baking, place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken broth and water to pot.
- Add lentils to pot, ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and simmer uncovered 25 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and continue heating 5 more minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic and onions to pot to warm through. Use an immersion blender or blender to puree soup (I used immersion blender).
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast 1 minute.
- Serve soup in bowls and sprinkle with cumin seeds.
Can be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.