Leftovers, leftovers, leftovers….love them or hate them we all have them. I like leftovers, especially if I can repurpose them. This recipe is a re-use of the meatballs from the Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe I made the other day. Using some meatballs and sauce from that recipe along with the leftover basil and Parmesan cheese and “voila” – a new and tasty meal.
The pesto in this recipe adds a punch of flavor to the meatballs and spaghetti sauce. Much better than just adding basil to the sandwich. If you have never made pesto before, don’t be afraid. Pesto is an almost no fail and can be modified many different ways. For example, I didn’t have pine nuts on hand – so I used walnuts instead. Not a problem! Also, the measurements of the basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and oil can be increased or decreased depending on taste. Some pesto sauces have a lot of olive oil and are runny. The one I made today was a bit thicker. I wanted the pesto sauce to be spreadable and flavorful in these meatball subs!!!! I also like knowing there is a touch of green in my meal.
If you don’t want to use the Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe that I provided and you have one that is your favorite…use that. The kicker in this dish is the pesto…please do not make your meatball sub without the pesto again. You won’t regret it!!
- 12 meatballs from leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs, cut in half
- 2 c. spaghetti sauce (or more if you like the sub saucy)
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 1 c. shredded cheese (I used half cheddar and half mozzarella)
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 c. fresh basil, torn
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c. chopped walnuts (or pine nuts if you have them)
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- Turn broiler on in the oven.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, heat the sliced meatballs and sauce.
- Prepare the pesto: Add the basil and garlic to a blender and pulse. Add the walnuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil and blend 30 seconds.
- Slice the hoagie rolls and place on a cookie sheet with the cut side facing upwards.
- On one side of each roll, spread 1/4 of the pesto mixture.
- On the other side of the hoagie roll, place 1/4 of the meatballs.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese on each of the rolls with the meatballs. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the cheese topping.
- Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts and browns a little.
The Spaghetti and Meatball recipe can be found at: http://www.misoginger.com/spaghetti-and-meatballs/