AAAhhhh, the holidays….shopping, decorating, shopping, planning, shopping…oh yeah and a girl has to eat. Crockpot Salsa chicken is the best option for the person on the go who doesn’t have time to plan a meal but still wants something tasty. I’m guessing that defines a few of us this time of year.
This is the kind of meal where anything goes as long as you add a large jar of salsa and 4 chicken breasts. I typically like to add black beans, red bell pepper and cilantro and that is how I wrote the recipe. I have been known to add corn to the recipe and top it off with cheese and/or sour cream. I have even used this as a burrito filling and it was terrific. You cannot go wrong with this recipe.
Today I threw everything in the crockpot, set it, and then went shopping. When I got home the house smelled amazing. I made some rice and added the red bell pepper to the crockpot and I had a meal. The chicken was soft and the salsa had thickened into a spicy sauce. Perfect. I used hot salsa for this dish, but you can use the spiciness of your liking.
During this holiday season, you need to make Crockpot Salsa Chicken. Why? Because this meal is amazingly easy and allows you to get the million other things done that you need to do this time of year.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar (between 18 and 24 oz) salsa
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. Jasmine rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro
- Cut chicken into 1" pieces. Add to crockpot.
- Add jar of salsa,black beans, salt and pepper to crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- If using Jasmine rice use the following directions, otherwise follow the directions on the package of rice. Thirty minutes before serving, bring 2 c. water to boil. Add salt to water. Add rice to water and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the seeds and core from red bell pepper and dice. Add to crockpot.
- Add butter and parsley to rice and fluff.
- Place rice on a platter and top with salsa chicken. Top chicken with cilantro and serve.
Can also add cheese and sour cream to the dish just before serving.